Last night, a terrorist group named ISIS attacked multiple spots in
Paris, France. I pray to God that by the time you're old enough to read
this, things like this are nothing more than a note in a history book.
You and Dad REALLY got into baseball this year. It seems only fitting
that they also won the World Series this year. You loved staying up and
watching the game. You and Dad watched on the couch and we ate junk food
every night. I felt awful that the win came 2 hours past your bedtime
on a school night. If I had known with 100% certainty, I would have let
you stay up. We made it to the parade though. We went and sat for 4
hours at the side of a blocked in street, half a block from Dad's
office. Over 800,000 people were there. Schools closed
for the day. We saw the trophy. We saw the players. It was a great day. I know you won't remember, not everything anyway.
I took a lot of pictures and made sure that I paid special attention to
remember everything. Which brings me to Lesson 13...
I'm
not going to lie. I was also scared shitless. A couple of years ago,
someone set off bombs at the Boston Marathon. A boy, not much older than
you, was killed. I almost had a panic attack at the thought of us being
down there with all those people. If Dad hadn't announced at the last
minute that he wanted to go, I may have stayed home. I watched you guys,
but I also watched people. I watched for anyone who didn't seem to
belong. I watched for people who had bags. I watched for unattended
bags. I watched the trashcans. BUT we went. We went and we had fun. We
made memories. These assholes WANT us to be afraid. I'm not going to
pretend it isn't working, but I don't want my children growing up being
scared to go outside. I struggle with that almost anytime we go out to a
major event at a public place. I run scenarios in my mind about how I
would try my best to protect you. It's not right. No one should have
those thoughts. No one should live with that fear. I'm not going to
pretend to know the answer to the problem. I wish I did. All I can do is
hope that it won't be a problem forever. Hope that those assholes
either come to their senses or they die. Hope that the new generation of
their children see what their parents are and work to be better. Until
then, I have to put on my game face and have fun. Even when it scares
me.
No comments:
Post a Comment